Personal Data

This section of the toolkit provides information on viewing and changing employee data (personal and job) and processing those transactions.

Personal Data Transactions

All of the faculty and staff information in the department(s) to which you have access will appear on the Job and Personal Information page in PAC. Here you can view personal information such as email address and birthday, view job information such as check address and job summary and edit other information such as address, phone number, and emergency contact.

Viewing Non-Active Faculty & Staff

On the Employee List, only active faculty and staff are displayed. To view faculty and staff who are not active (for example, on a Leave of Absence, Terminated, etc.), select an Effective Date when they were in active status:

  • Go to the ”View Employee Personal Info” page within the Job and Information section of Manager Self-Service
  • Change the date to one day before the non-active status went into effect (for example, if Joan Smith went on a Leave of Absence on 10/15/YYYY you would enter 10/14/YYYY)
  • Press the "Go" button; the Employee List will refresh, displaying the active employees as of that date
  • Click on the employee’s name and their information page will display (where you can generate a PAF)

Viewing Information for an Employee with Multiple Positions in Different Departments (i.e. Casual Employees)

Information for employees with multiple positions in different departments is accessible by the respective administrative department for each position. To verify whether an employee holds a position in another department, contact the HR Service Center.

Pay Inquiries for an Employee with Multiple Positions in Different Departments

Faculty and staff with multiple positions in different departments receive a single paycheck with their total pay from all departments. Only the DA who administers the employee’s primary position will be able to see the check in either the Department or Employee Payroll Reports in Manager Self-Service. If you believe there is a discrepancy with the pay, either an overpayment, under payment or missed pay, first contact the HR Service Center to verify the employee holds a position in another department.  Upon determining a pay error occurred, follow the appropriate process to correct. Visit the Pay Error Corrections and Overpayments topics for additional information.

For complete information about viewing employee records, consult the Manager Self-Service Training Guide.

A personal data change is submitted for an employee when the personal information must be updated in the employee's record.


Once a personal data change is known, submit the change along with the required documentation. Once it is entered into the PAC system, it is viewable in the Employee Personal Information section of Manager Self-Service and the employee can also see the change reflected in Employee Self-Service, if applicable.

For each type of personal data that needs to be changed:

If the original paperwork was correct, attach a copy of the original paperwork to the personal data change/correction PAF. No further documentation is required.

If the original paperwork was not correct, or has changed, you must provide the following documentation to make the change:

  • Name
    • If the change is a spelling or format correction, no additional documentation is required
    • If the change is an official name change, then the appropriate documentation is required (e.g., a social security card and either a marriage certificate or a court order)
  • Sex: No documentation required
  • Birthdate: Driver's license, passport or birth certificate
  • Ethnicity: no documentation required
  • Marital status: Marriage certificate, death certificate or court papers
  • Education: Diploma or graduation letter
  • Social security number: Social security card
  • Visa/citizenship: I-9


  1. Generate an active PAF for the employee from the Employee Personal Information page in the manager self-service section of the People @ Columbia (PAC) system. For more information on how to print PAFs, access the MSS Guide.
  2. Enter the action/reason codes and effective date at the top of the PAF (see chart below).
  3. In the appropriate sections of the PAF, draw/type a single line through information that needs to be changed and print/type the new information in the updated fields. Verify that the form is complete, sign it, and submit it through the Paper Transactions module in PAC for approval, along with the required supporting documentation for the transaction

Please note: The action/reason codes below will not appear on your Personnel Action Report in manager self-service, since these are personal data changes. The exceptions are DTA/SSN and DTA/VSA, which will appear as listed.

Action/reason codes for Personal Data Changes


Please refer to the How to Complete a PAF job aid for more information on completing the form, and the action/reason code job aid for a complete listing of all action/reason codes.