Work & Life Events

What is a Qualified Life Status Change?

Any personal experience that impacts your job or your benefits—such as getting married, giving birth, adopting a child, taking a medical leave of absence or retiring from the University—may be considered a Qualified Life Status Change. You may change your benefits within 31 days of the work & life event, if eligible, or make changes during the annual Benefits Open Enrollment period.  

Make Changes or Request a Service

Employment Group

Every employee is part of an employment group. Find yours:

Officers include academic and non-academic personnel such as: 

  • Officers of Instruction (faculty)
  • Officers of Research (includes Associate Research Scientists/Scholars and Postdoctoral Research Scientists/Scholars)*
  • Officers of the Libraries
  • Officers of Administration

* Learn more about Postdoctoral Research Scientists/Scholars

You must be a Full-Time Postdoctoral Clinical Fellow or Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Part-Time Fellows and Residency Fellows do not qualify).*

*Learn more about Postdoctoral fellows

Support Staff include includes administrative and other staff, as well as all union members. The acronyms for these groups are:

  • NUSS: Non-Union Support Staff 
  • SSA: Support Staff Association members
  • TWU: Transit Workers Union members
  • LOCAL 2110: Technical, Office and Support Staff union members
  • UNIONS: Members of Local 1199, Local 32B-32J, Local 100, MEBA and MM&P unions

All Officers and Support Staff who are currently retired should view the Retiree Benefits website. Officers and staff who are approaching retirement may want review the "Prospective Retirees" pages for information and planning resources.

Speak to your manager if you're not sure of your employment group.


The Retiree Benefits website covers all Work & Life events information for prospective and currently-retired Officers and Support Staff.