Reminder: Job-Related Graduate Education Certification Forms for Teachers College – Due July 7, 2021

July 06, 2021

If you are enrolled in graduate-level studies–either non-degree course(s) or a degree program for the Summer 2021 term, please ensure that we have a supervisor certified Job-Related Graduate Education Certification (JRGEC) form on file for you.

In order to take advantage of the job-related tax benefits, we must have an approved certification on file. Due to Covid-19 protocols your JRGEC forms must be submitted by your supervisor via email to Student Financial Services at [email protected] to confirm the form has been signed and certified as job-related per IRS criteria reflected in the University policy.

According to IRS guidelines, tuition exemption benefits for graduate-level studies (course numbers 4000 & above) are exempt from taxation up to the federal limit of $5,250 in a calendar year. The value of tuition exemption benefits above the federal limit of $5,250 is treated as taxable imputed income and taxes will be withheld from your paycheck. The University will spread the tax liability of Tuition Exemption benefits for classes over the July through September pay periods.

The one exception to this IRS guideline is for graduate-level studies certified as “job-related,” per IRS-defined criteria.

For guidelines on whether you qualify for the Job-Related tax exemption, and instructions on how to certify, go to our JRGEC Page.

What You Need to Know About Job-Related Graduate Education Certification Forms:
Forms must be submitted by July 7, 2021 to ensure the tax exemption is applied to your student account for:

  • Non-Degree Programs – Forms must be certified and submitted each term to SFS.
  • Degree Programs – Forms must only be certified by your supervisor once (unless you change your degree program, or job); a copy of the signed certified form must be submitted each term to SFS.

Important: If you do not submit a Job-Related Graduate Education Certification Form demonstrating these courses are related to your work at the University, taxes will be withheld from your paycheck for the tuition value of courses exceeding the annual federal limit.

To Submit Forms: Email: [email protected]

For questions about your Teachers College student account: Email: [email protected]