Spring 2020 Tuition Exemption Forms Due By Jan 31, 2020
You and/or your dependents may be eligible to receive Tuition Exemption benefits at Columbia University, Barnard College and Teachers College.
When you take advantage of the Tuition Exemption benefit:
- The cost of tuition is exempt;
- You are responsible for all fees and non-tuition charges related to your course(s) registration.
To receive Tuition Exemption for the Spring 2020 term, you and/or your dependent must be eligible before the first day of classes, must be enrolled in classes for the Spring 2020 term, and must complete the Tuition Exemption Eligibility Form.
To avoid late fees, processing delays or tax withholdings, you must submit this form before the end of the Change of Program Period: Friday, January 31, 2020.
What You Need to Know
To determine your eligibility status, number of courses covered or to print your eligibility form – log in to CUBES with your UNI and password, then choose the Tuition icon on the top menu to go to the Tuition Programs page; then, select “Tuition Exemption – For Yourself” or “Tuition Exemption – For Your Dependents.”
Your Tuition Exemption form is now a fillable form, which allows you to complete the form online, print your name, date and save as a PDF so you can seamlessly attach and submit to your school.
Submit your form to Student Financial Services (SFS) or to the school’s Bursar’s Office. The Tuition Exemption – For Yourself or For Your Dependent eligibility form must be completed, signed and submitted to SFS on your campus to be applied to you or your dependent’s student account:
- Columbia: firstname.lastname@example.org
Morningside: 205 Kent Hall. Medical Center: 1-141 Black Building
- Barnard College: email@example.com. Milbank Hall, Room 15
- Teachers College: firstname.lastname@example.org. Thompson Hall, Room133
Graduate-Level Studies (Course Numbers 4000 & above) – The first $5,250 of Tuition Exemption benefits in a calendar year is exempt from taxation according to IRS regulations. Additional benefits above this limit will be treated as taxable income, unless job related.
Job-Related Graduate-Level Studies (Course Numbers 4000 & above) – To receive tax exemption for Tuition Exemption benefits above the IRS calendar year limit of $5,250, complete and submit a Job-Related Graduate Education Certification Form – Degree Program or for Non-Degree Program each term before the end of the Change of Program Period. Consult the Job-Related Graduate Education Certification page for more details, forms and employee and supervisor instructions for processing.
To avoid late fees, processing delays or tax withholdings, you must submit this form before Friday, January 31, 2020.
For More Information
To learn more about:
- Tax treatment for undergraduate, or graduate courses for Support Staff, go to humanresources.columbia.edu/tuition.
- Job-Related Graduate Education Tax Exemption, go to Job-Related Graduate Education Certification.
- Policy questions, call the CU Benefits Service Center, email email@example.com or call 212-851-7000, Monday - Friday, 9 a.m.- 4 p.m.
- Student account information or Tuition Exemption form processing – email Student Financial Services (SFS) at firstname.lastname@example.org.