New Hire Checklist
Welcome and congratulations on your new role! To help guide you through your first few weeks, please review the following information to help you make a successful transition. Some of these tasks can be completed prior to your start date. If you have any questions, please reach out to your hiring manager and/or your HR Manager for assistance.
Checklist for New Employees
New Hire Paperwork
Requirements to complete your hiring process are:
- Employment Eligibility:
- On or before your first day of work, you need to complete Section 1 of the I-9 Form.
- Within three business days of your start date, visit an I-9 Service Center to complete Form I-9, Section 2. Remember to bring the appropriate original documents with you, as listed in Section 1 of the I-9 online.
- Taxation: Fill out your W-4 form along with your IT2104 form or IT2104.1 form and give them to your hiring manager.
Your Columbia Email (UNI)
Your Columbia email is needed to log into security-protected systems at the University, including for benefits enrollment.
- Work with your hiring manager to obtain and activate your UNI, which is your Columbia computing account.
Register and Attend New Hire Orientation
- Register for an orientation session on either the Morningside or Medical Center Campus as appropriate per your role and location.
University ID Card
Your University ID card will provide you access into buildings on campus as well as to special discounts and resources only accessible to members of the Columbia community.
- Access the ID Center to find out more about how to obtain an ID Card.
- You have 31 days to enroll in your plan if you are benefits eligible. Please refer to the Benefits section for detailed information. Officers may also view the New Hire Benefits Orientation video.
- Once you have activated your Columbia email (UNI), you can log in to CUBES (Columbia University Benefits Enrollment System) with your UNI and password and make your benefits elections.
- You may also call the HR Benefits Service Center at 212-851-7000 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, if you have any questions about electing your benefits.
MyColumbia is a portal that enables faculty and staff to access the information and password-protected resources quickly and easily in a central location. MyColumbia includes your personal information, tax documents and online direct deposit registration.
- After you log in with your UNI and password, please click the links along the top navigation to go to the areas you need.
- You can sign up to directly deposit your pay into your savings account, checking account or both, by logging into the myColumbia portal with your UNI and password. Please see the direct deposit instructions to learn more.
- Ensure that you set up a meeting with your primary manager to orient you fully into the new job, department/center culture and performance expectations during your first few months in the new role.
- Identify any required training with your manager.
- Anti-harassment, Discrimination and Title IX Training – Compliance training on sexual harrassment and discrimination
- Research Compliance & Training Courses – Searched via the Training Finder System
- For anyone working with minors, Protection of Minors training is required