What Is My Employment Group?
Every employee is part of an employment group. Your employment group determines how your position is managed in Columbia University systems, such as benefits and salary grades.
Officers include academic and non-academic personnel:
- Officers of Instruction (faculty)
- Officers of Research (includes Associate Research Scientists/Scholars and Postdoctoral Research Scientists/Scholars)*
- Officers of the Libraries
- Officers of Administration
Postdoctoral Fellows include full-time Postdoctoral Clinical Fellows and Postdoctoral Research Fellow (part-time Fellows and Residency Fellows do not qualify).*
Postdoctoral Research Scientists/Scholars are Officers.
Support Staff groups include administrative and other staff, and all union members. The acronyms for these groups are:
- NUSS: Non-Union Support Staff
- SSA: Support Staff Association members
- TWU: Transport Workers Union members
- TWU Lamont: Transport Workers Union members at Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
- LOCAL 2110: Technical, Office, and Support Staff union members
- 1199 SEIU United Healthcare Workers East
- UNIONS: Members of Local 1199, Local 32B-32J, Local 100, MEBA, and MM&P unions
All Officers and Support Staff who are currently retired should view benefits under Retirees.
Officers and staff who are approaching retirement should also review the "Prospective Retirees" section of Retiree Benefits website for information and planning resources.